About Me

My photo
New York City, New York, United States
41 year old African-American Male. I like to think of myself as a jack of all trades and a master of none...I rely on reasoned common sense, rationality and what my gut tells me is right/wrong (combined with the well reasoned opinions of others!). I don't consider myself an expert on anything in particular, but I have lots of opinions.

Saturday, January 14, 2012

Happy 2012...A few weeks late

Welcome to 2012...I am only a few weeks late!
I am trying to figure out why I haven't felt like writing/blogging the last few months and I don't have a good answer.  Yes, I have been busy with work (but, who isn't?  that has never stopped me before).  No, I am not paid for blogging (but, being paid is not my reason for blogging).  I have no idea if anyone actually reads this thing (despite the fact that I read the stats, and, that has never stopped me before)...so, I will just accept that I just have not been up to it and move along.

As always, there is much going on...the GOP Presidential Primary contest should warrant a discussion, but, unfortunately, it doesn't.  The entire field (the front runner included) is pretty much a joke...except, that I think that the potential consequences are dire.  Its not that I want President Obama to lose the election, because I do not.  But, I am pushing myself to rise above ideology.  What I would like to hear (whether its from President O or from one of the contestants on the other side) are concrete ideas/potential solutions to improve the current economic environment.  Unfortunately, I haven't heard much from either side (and to be fair to the President, he certainly doesn't have a working partner with the dysfunctional Congress where the Republicans would rather see the President fail than see the country succeed---so much for "country first").  At the same time, I think I have a realistic view of American politics.  Everyone expects that the presidential contest will be tight...That means if Obama loses, I wish I had some confidence in his successor to implement programs to fix the problems we currently face.  Irrespective of which bone head wins from the other side, I just do not see that happening.

On another front, I finally saw "The Help" on DVD...Although it pushed many different buttons for me (race relations, poverty, limited opportunities for blacks, restrictive gender roles), as I expected, Viola Davis was rocked in a dignified, quiet type of way, and Octavia Spencer was (not too surprisingly) pretty damn funny.  As much as I loathe the "Hollywood" awards season, I am glad to see that she (Davis) is receiving just due for her work in this movie (in terms of recognition from her peers and other industry folks).  Given the limited roles available for American-Americans (male or female) and given the limited number of quality roles (regardless of race), I just enjoy seeing people justly rewarded for their efforts.  I had the pleasure of seeing Ms. Davis on Broadway with Denzel Washington in "Fences"---she just brought so much power and presence and depth to her role.  It was a pleasure to watch.  [I am not doing a very good job of explaining myself here...On the surface, it would seem like I engaging in a form of fictive race pride in terms of rejoicing in Viola's critical accolades.  Not that there is anything necessarily wrong with that, but I am not...or, at least, I am trying not to.  There is just something about the integrity that she projects and the life that she beings to her characters that I really appreciate and I think that she is talented as hell!]

Speaking of the world of film, last week, I saw "Pariah" about an black, high school age student who comes to terms with her sexual identity (lesbian) on her own terms.  It was a raw, realistic, honest film by first time Director Dee Ress...Her film has garnered a great deal of well-deserved buzz and I look forward to seeing more from her moving forward (interestingly, I read that she is working on a scripted series for HBO starring Viola Davis). 

As I have gotten older, my tolerance level for trash entertainment has decreased significantly.  I just resent the garbage that is thrown out to "us" the viewing/paying public by the powers that be (the forum doesn't matter---music, theater, television, books).  I am only willing to spend my time and/or money on those things that I think might interest me and when I find those things, I am ecstatic! (for example, I am 99% certain that nothing Tyler Perry does will interest me, so I don't watch any of his productions.  He most certainly can do what he wants, but he won't be earning any of my money in the process).  [note:  I am laying on the bed and a commercial for a "Martin Luther King Day Sale" a K-Mart just came on...Damn!  Nothing is safe from commodification...I am not one of those people who lionizes Dr. King...I appreciate both his humanity and his achievements, but I do think that some things should be off-limits...but, am I really surprised? No]

Finally, I want to welcome a friend to the world of blogging...This is her blog (womanvsweight.com) and its an online account of her battle with the bulge...something that all of us can probably relate to.  I wish her the best and encourage any/all who have an interest to check her out.

Until next time...RT

No comments:

Post a Comment