About Me

My photo
New York City, New York, United States
41 year old African-American Male. I like to think of myself as a jack of all trades and a master of none...I rely on reasoned common sense, rationality and what my gut tells me is right/wrong (combined with the well reasoned opinions of others!). I don't consider myself an expert on anything in particular, but I have lots of opinions.

Thursday, March 31, 2011

Crazy Grang Rape Story from Cleveland, TX

This story is sad and problematic on so many levels.  This is actually the 2nd version of the article from the NY Times...The initial story in the NY Times was vilified for lacking balance (a sentiment echoed by the Public Editor of The Times)...(I tried to post the position of the Public Editor, but I can't find that article).  The issue (about the coverage of The Times for this particular story) was discussed on NPR this afternoon---much of the criticism of The Times was a result of a perceived lack of empathy for the alleged victim (honestly, considering that there are cell phone videos of the attack- and I didn't know there were multiple attacks, and the girl is 11, I think that we should dispense with using the word "alleged")...An ancilary issue that was brought up during the discussion on NPR is that some "activist" are claiming that the suspects (who are predominantly African-American) are being targeted because of their race...Normally, I believe in innocence until proven otherwise...But, I repeat that there is cellphone video of the attack(s) and the girl is 11 (below the legal age for consent in TX)...So, my guess is that there is more going on than targeted selection based upon anything other than vulgar and cowardly act(s) by a bunch of males who are definitely less than men.  There are times when I certainly believe its appropriate and justified to bring up race---this isn't one of them.

No comments:

Post a Comment