About Me

My photo
New York City, New York, United States
41 year old African-American Male. I like to think of myself as a jack of all trades and a master of none...I rely on reasoned common sense, rationality and what my gut tells me is right/wrong (combined with the well reasoned opinions of others!). I don't consider myself an expert on anything in particular, but I have lots of opinions.

Sunday, September 25, 2011

I have been "gone" for a while, just processing a bunch of the craziness happening all around (in addition to just doing my regular "J-O-B").  Here's is something interesting on the alleged "Solyndra scandal" that's making the rounds not just on Fox News, but in supposed more respectful news outlets that are not doing sufficient homework...But, what's new?

I am also curious as to why I haven't heard more about the "Take Back the American Dream" conference that's happening next week in DC (more information here).  I guess I shouldn't be surprised or disappointed...Afterall, this conference and gathering doesn't have the same level of loudmouthblowhards as a Rush or Glenn Beck, so it does not quite provide the level of sensationalism from a news perspective...As I have mentioned before, I wish the organizors the best...I can't personally attend, but I will be following up on the event.

Finally, I came across this article from Melissa Harris Perry over at The Nation...It echoes a lot of the sentiments that I have been trying to articulate (very often, I guess I am not quite as eloquent in writing as others, but such is life).  I rember when former President Clinton signed DADT into law, I was livid!  I was living in DC at the time and attending law school....I remember calling the White House switchboard (from a payphone, lol) to express my outrage...I also wrote a Letter to the Editor of The Washington Post (that was never published).  I thought that DADT was a HUGE blow to the gay community and I didn't expect that anything good would come from it.  Similarly, I was equally outraged when former President Clinton passed "welfare reform" into law...Although, I didn't call the White House this time (or, write the paper), I was equally upset because I knew that the poor and working class would basically get shafted with these changes in the country's social saftey net.  The point is that in neither instance did former President Clinton suffer the same level of criticism from the "left" (although there was some criticism) as President Obama onhis failure to immmediately fight for a repeal of DADT (despite the fact that the economy was headed into a free for all downward spiral)or that he appears to have compromised with the GOP on a number of issues (as someone who negotiates for a living, I can tell personally state that just saying "no" all of the time never accomplishing anything)...so, Professor Harris Perry highlights out some interesting points of analysis...







No comments:

Post a Comment