About Me

My photo
New York City, New York, United States
41 year old African-American Male. I like to think of myself as a jack of all trades and a master of none...I rely on reasoned common sense, rationality and what my gut tells me is right/wrong (combined with the well reasoned opinions of others!). I don't consider myself an expert on anything in particular, but I have lots of opinions.

Sunday, February 27, 2011

Is the Check in the Mail?

Large Corporations Not Paying Taxes

Allegedly the deficit hawks who were recently voted into Congress were brought into to focus on government spending.  I ask where is the focus on corporate tax evasion?  Many large multi-billion corporations have constructed very complex structures to avoid paying taxes (is that patriotic? is it legal?  is it fair?).  There is a great deal of focus on programs that effectively account for rounding errors in the federal budget and other programs that provide a minimum of a social safety net for the society's most vulnerable members.  Yet, very few, if any, has said anything about the number of large companies that contribute none of their enormous earnings to the running of the country (nevermind that they benefit, like the rest of us, from the multitude of services provided by the government).

Unfortunately, the "tea parties" that have been formed to rally for the "people" (in a limited sense) have been co-opted and manipulated by astro-turf organizations such that they can't see the forest for the damn trees.  But, no one should be surprised.  (American) history is replete with examples of the manipulation of the working class (whites) who have been convinced to take action against their own self interests (or, who are convinced to pursue a red herring of a target instead of focusing on the real reason(s) for their economic predicament).

I am not convinced that government deficits are the Armageddon that everyone makes it out to be (yes, it is a problem...and, it was a problem during the Bush Administration  when the govt spent like a bunch of drunken sailors on leave in order to benefit cronies of the Administration...I am still asking, "where was the outrage?").  My gut also tells me that there are also considerable efficiency improvements that are necessary across government agencies (but, that is not unique to the government; inefficiency is the hallmark of bureaucracy).  I also do not believe that the government is the enemy (and President Obama is certainly not the boogie man!).  Again, our country's current economic problems are much larger than de minims spending on a different social services program or even the raising of the debt ceiling. 

I am not advocating class warfare, but until there is discussion and analysis (starting with requiring corporations to share their fair share of the country's financial obligation), our economic problems won't be going any where soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment