About Me

My photo
New York City, New York, United States
41 year old African-American Male. I like to think of myself as a jack of all trades and a master of none...I rely on reasoned common sense, rationality and what my gut tells me is right/wrong (combined with the well reasoned opinions of others!). I don't consider myself an expert on anything in particular, but I have lots of opinions.

Monday, February 28, 2011

Charlie Sheen on GMA

I watched Charlie Sheen's interview on GMA this morning (and I am sure that this is old news by now)...It was hard to take.  As someone who has personal experience with addiction, I have tried to resist commenting on what appears to be a serious spiraling out of control.  Moreover, I am also troubled that  most discussions about Sheen have been from a perspective of sensationalism instead of using this as an opportunity to discuss addiction.  This isn't all that surprising given our the tabloid nature of most "news" (I guess they are just giving the public what it wants...) 

With all of that said, it is clear that Sheen is in need of serious help.  What's unfortunate (and I have to attribute this statement to someone else, I just can't remember the person's name) is that most addicts (alcoholics, drug addicts, etc.) don't have a multi-million source of income when they hit rock bottom...Unfortnately, for many addicts/alcoholics, "bottom" can mean a loss of job, housing, loved ones...I just hope that Sheen gets some real help very soon.

Just for the record (and I don't know if this is relevant), but I never watched that show "Two and a Half Men" (well, actually, I think it came on my television for about 15 mins one day and I thought that I was going to jump out of the window...I don't know what shocks me more, the fact that the show is popular as it is or that he earns as much as he does (I guess the 2 go hand-in-hand and just confirms that we should never equate quality and monetary success, but that is probably a separate issue...)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h5aSa4tmVNM

http://tv.yahoo.com/blog/two-and-a-half-men-will-be-paid-for-cancelled-episodes-while-charlie-sheen-threatens-lawsuits--2450?nc

No comments:

Post a Comment