About Me

My photo
New York City, New York, United States
41 year old African-American Male. I like to think of myself as a jack of all trades and a master of none...I rely on reasoned common sense, rationality and what my gut tells me is right/wrong (combined with the well reasoned opinions of others!). I don't consider myself an expert on anything in particular, but I have lots of opinions.

Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Fiction Can Be Better Than Facts

Some interesting points on Texas Governor Rick Perry from those who have ran against him.  The media seems really into his entry into the GOP nominating contest, if for no other reason than the rest of the field is a total mess.  I lived in TX for 3-4 years and honestly don't remember anything about Perry.  Over the last few years, he has made some memorable comments---TX should secede from the Union (imagine if President Obama had said something similar...Of course, Obama is President and not a governor, but I found this comment interesting considering that Obama's patriotism has been relentlessly challenged), and then there is today's comment that printing more money would amount to "treason" (of course, there is no explanation...which is typical of this field...make ridiculous and inflammatory statements without backing them up).  Based upon my time in Texas, I don't know if the state's mindset will translate nationally (admittedly, it worked once, but boy did that cost us!!).  I guess only time will tell.  Personally, I see Rick Perry as the male version of Sarah Palin---a governor (or, former governor) who has managed to lead a wild-card state and benefit from intrinsic aspects of that state, which in turn, hasn't required much from of them in terms of putting forth novel ideas.  More often than not, they [Perry/Palin] says boneheaded things, which captivates the MSM, but at the end of the day, there is not much there in terms of substance (Palin's ridiculousness is well documented.  Perry's ridiculousness is starting to come to light...Like his claim to have balanced the state's budge...He fails to mentioned that it was done with the dreaded STIMULUS money, but why let a minor detail stand in the way of a great story?!). 

No comments:

Post a Comment