About Me

My photo
New York City, New York, United States
41 year old African-American Male. I like to think of myself as a jack of all trades and a master of none...I rely on reasoned common sense, rationality and what my gut tells me is right/wrong (combined with the well reasoned opinions of others!). I don't consider myself an expert on anything in particular, but I have lots of opinions.

Sunday, April 10, 2011

Calling Trump To The Carpet

Bill Cosby and John Legend have both taken justifiable shots at Donald Trump---thank goodness since Meredith Viera apparently didn't feel any obligation to call Donald "Media Whore" Trump to task on his factual inaccuracies. I honestly don't know nor do I care whether he intends to run for president, whether he honestly believes the "birther" crap and quite frankly, I am not all that interested in his views on race...I am just sick of him getting a pass to espouse his foolishness...He allows himself to be interviewed, he states these ridiculous views that have been debunked and the interviewing journalist just sits there and doesn't challenge him---wtf?  Is it too much to ask some of these folks to do their job?

Just so I am clear, I don't have a problem with legitimate criticism of President Obama (or any African-American...I don't think that anyone should be off limits).  But, relying on crazy theories that feed into the xenophobia of fringe elements (which, scarily, appear to becoming mainstream) that are tinged in racism is a problem.  I am a little uncomfortable with John Legend calling Trump a racist---I don't know if he is or isn't...I do believe that this birther bullshit has its roots in racism, but like calling someone an anti-Semite, a sexist or homophobe, I believe that calling someone a racist should be based on uncontroverted evidence, but that's an issue John Legend will need to deal with...He has the resources and intelligence to defend his position, so I don't want to appear to be speaking for him, I just wanted to throw my own opinion into the mix.  I am just glad to see someone who can garner media attention who in turn utilizes that platform for something other than promoting them self (or some product). 

No comments:

Post a Comment