About Me

My photo
New York City, New York, United States
41 year old African-American Male. I like to think of myself as a jack of all trades and a master of none...I rely on reasoned common sense, rationality and what my gut tells me is right/wrong (combined with the well reasoned opinions of others!). I don't consider myself an expert on anything in particular, but I have lots of opinions.

Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Spike vs Tyler

So, Spike and Tyler are still at it?  Personally, I am not a fan of Tyler's movies...I saw one "Madea" movie and knew that it wasn't my cup of tea.  I watched "Why Did I Get Married" at the urging of my sister.  I wasn't impressed...It was flat and the characters were pretty one dimensional.  This is the same complaint that I have about Tyler's work in general...I guess he has a right to put out the work that he does (and, apparently, there is a market for his product)...The real issue for me is that there is a considerable lack of diversity and depth in the images and portrayals of movies with African-Americans (not to mention other folks who are non-white).  I try to speak with my wallet---I support the work of people who do things that interest me (I use the same approach with television, which greatly limits what I watch since most of television is pretty much mindless)...At the same time, I do feel like perhaps Tyler Perry should exercise some degree of responsibility given his platform (and, he is not the only person with whom I impose that obligation).  He professes to have grown up around people like his characters and I guess my response would be, "Really?  Are you still in therapy?"

No comments:

Post a Comment