About Me

My photo
New York City, New York, United States
41 year old African-American Male. I like to think of myself as a jack of all trades and a master of none...I rely on reasoned common sense, rationality and what my gut tells me is right/wrong (combined with the well reasoned opinions of others!). I don't consider myself an expert on anything in particular, but I have lots of opinions.

Sunday, April 10, 2011

NY Public Schools

This is an honest and insightful article from the Times about a Bronx Middle School's relative success and the never ending challenges it faces.  I have said it repeatedly, parents have to be involved, irrespective of the resources of the school.  Additionally, it seems that NYC DOE and NY State DOE regulations that stand in the way of this principal (or, prohibit him from receiving the extra resources that he needs) should be re-evaulauted---it makes no sense that he is penalized in some ways for his success.  [One, another note, I am glad that Cathie Black, Mayor Bloomberg's initial choice to replace Joel Klein as Chancellor, has "resigned".  I just wish the Mayor had left with her].

No comments:

Post a Comment