About Me

My photo
New York City, New York, United States
41 year old African-American Male. I like to think of myself as a jack of all trades and a master of none...I rely on reasoned common sense, rationality and what my gut tells me is right/wrong (combined with the well reasoned opinions of others!). I don't consider myself an expert on anything in particular, but I have lots of opinions.

Thursday, April 28, 2011

A Monarchy...Really? In 2011? That's Crazy

Whew---I thought that I was the only person who is sick of this "royal" ridiculousness!  The entire concept of a monarchy (a constitutional one at that, that has no authority) is ridiculous...For years, I have been trying to wrap my head around this concept (and yes, I acknowledge that in the states, we have our own problems with worshipping individuals for basically doing nothing)...

This writer (whom I think is British) sums up my own feelings in a way that I seem to have problems articulating.  This morning, I went to watch GMA (begrudingly) as I normally do, only to find that the program, (as bad as it is) had been hijacked by the "royal" wedding hyseria (meanwhile, I coundn't find out any info regarding the devastation that hit the midwestern US yesterday).  To make matters worse, the insufferable Barbra Walters urged viewers to "...wake up the kids so that they could see a fairy tale happen" (or, something along those lines).  Its was all so ridiculous and silly (and, honestly, a bit...vulgar, maybe?  such opulence in a time of such economic deprivation seems inappropriate especially considering that the opulence is funded by the taxpayers...).  I may not be a British citizen, but that doesn't mean that I don't find the monarchy system problematic and the American media's coverage of the wedding a serious lapse of judgment.

No comments:

Post a Comment