About Me

My photo
New York City, New York, United States
41 year old African-American Male. I like to think of myself as a jack of all trades and a master of none...I rely on reasoned common sense, rationality and what my gut tells me is right/wrong (combined with the well reasoned opinions of others!). I don't consider myself an expert on anything in particular, but I have lots of opinions.

Saturday, June 18, 2011

Y Are You The Only Ones Who Can Drive?

Let's go women in Saudi Arabia! Drive on!!!!!!  I support religious freedom, but not to the extent that it infringes upon the rights of other individuals...I also have a problem with women being forced to wear the burka, but that's a separate (but, related) issue...One could argue that some women do it as a choice, which raises the question as to how free they are to choose...I could be thinking in an ethnocentric manner, but I see all of this as examples of the subjugation (and objectification) of women...Where they are deprived of individual agency and seen as delicate creatures in need of protecting (instead of being thought of as being able to protect themselves).  This is very reminiscent of Victorian American thinking (not that we have totally eliminated this mindset...)

No comments:

Post a Comment