About Me

My photo
New York City, New York, United States
41 year old African-American Male. I like to think of myself as a jack of all trades and a master of none...I rely on reasoned common sense, rationality and what my gut tells me is right/wrong (combined with the well reasoned opinions of others!). I don't consider myself an expert on anything in particular, but I have lots of opinions.

Friday, March 4, 2011

IL and NJ do the Crazy Dance

Given the sorry economic climate in both Illinois and NJ, do neither of these Governors have nothing better to do with their time and respective state resources?  Moreover, while I understand and appreciate the fact that states (and cities) compete with one another for "business" (ie, trying to convince businesses to relocate or open a plant/office or other outpost in their respective borders), but from a larger perspective, we are really just transferring losses and gains from one geographic location to another...The bigger issue is about fostering an environment where the U.S. actually produces something tangible (and I am not talking about creating another mechanism with an inflated valuation and questionable social utility that's used to market the same tired products)...Moreover, given the very attractive incentives that states and municipalities very often offer to attract to businesses, you have to ask whether the lost revenue from the incentives offsets the economic and psychological gains?  (I don't know the answer to that question, but I hope the powers that be are doing the analysis...)

No comments:

Post a Comment